Friday, July 20, 2012

I Suck at Girls: A Novel Review and so much more!


I already have a feeling this is going to be a "longer than expected" post so take a seat and grab a snack folks.

Okay, for the last few weeks I have been in a reading slump. I raced through 50 Shades of Grey (which I reviewed here) and since then I haven't found anything I wanted to pick up or even felt like taking a look at. Let's go ahead and call this phase "readers block" since I'm pretty sure it happens to me every so often. Anyway, I'm at Target last week looking through their new fiction selection to see if anything catches my eye and I come across Justin Halpern's newest little diddy. If you forgot, I LOVED his Shit My Dad Says (read more about it here) so I literally thought, "He's hilarious, this just might get me out of my readers block" so I purchased it.

Obviously, I LOVED it. Again, Halpern somehow got me literally laughing out loud (to myself mind you) by page 40 and continued to make me laugh all the way up until the last line. What a clown this guy is; no wonder he's hilarious, with a dad like that you really can't run out of material.

What I didn't expect was Halpern to evoke some sentimental and love-y dove-y emotions out of me. Turns out this little beauty isn't about just sucking at attracting the opposite sex but how to get past sucking at relationships and the opposite sex.

By the time shit started getting sentimental, it had me thinking about a topic that I haven't written about that I should have done awhile ago. The topic: moving in with your significant other.

Do you know how most people are full of shit and never tell the truth about situations because they want you to think their lives are perfect? Yeah this is exactly how I feel about moving in with the one you love. IT'S HARD. Why didn't anybody tell me that before M and I moved in together 2 years ago?! I'll tell you why, because nobody wanted to admit that adjusting to someone else's schedule and way of life is hard. Well here it is, that shit is hard. It's even more difficult when one person is completely Type A and neurotic about cleaning and organization and the other just isn't. Figuring out a happy medium to live in a balance with each other is hard, and it's an art if you can figure out how to do it correctly. Although moving in together was challenging, it thankfully didn't take more than a month or so for M and I to figure out how to "marry" our lives under one roof with little to no hiccups.

With that being said, living together should be considered an art because in my opinion it can make or break your bond, relationship, and love if you can't figure out how to mesh well. Apparently, Halpern thinks the same thing; here's the proof from his newest book I Suck at Girls


"When you move in with someone, you can't hide all the weird and annoying things you do, and while sometimes that unveiling ruins the relationship, often it seals the deal. It's like being a meat eater and having your vegetarian friend e-mail you one of those videos that shows you what goes on behind the scenes at a slaughterhouse; if you can make it past that, you'll probably be a meat eater for life."


I think what he said is so true; although difficult and challenging, moving in with your S.O. usually roots your bond much deeper than it was before.

What was really frustrating when M and I were moving in together is that everybody said how great living together is yada yada yada. They never said, "Well you have to adjust to each other's quirks first and then it's amazing". So now I'm saying it for those who haven't lived with or are about to embark on this journey, it's hard. Is it worth it? Of course. I'll tell you this, I wouldn't enter into a marriage without living with someone first because if you can work through those kinks, the beginning of your marriage will be a lot less stressful.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Please share, I love hearing that I'm not the only one ! It also makes me feel a little less crazy.

Recommendation: Must read! Be prepared to laugh your way through each and every page.

Love&Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment