Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Novel Review: 50 Shades of Grey

Okay I have been meaning to write a little something about this well known series and haven't gotten around to it. This will be brief but hopefully helpful.



About two months ago I had caught wind of this new series that was supposed to be a pretty saucy new book series revolving around a BDSM relationship (bondage, dominant, sadism, masochism). Well this is news because I'm pretty sure I've never read a book with a BDSM relationship or heard of one on the best sellers lists worldwide. So of course I had to see what all the hype was about and probably ended up reading all three books in the series within two weeks. Someone asked me yesterday, "How did the book make you feel?" and my answer was, "Hot and bothered". Simply put.

Here is one thing I will say, E.L. James did not in any way write the books well. What she was remarkable at was capturing attention and keeping the suspense building throughout the entire series. She does an excellent job getting your attention in the first novel by introducing us to the BDSM world and therefore making us read further to see what it's really about. Then she eloquently turns the series into a relationship centered series rather than a sex-centered series. Whether the relationship is strictly BDSM throughout, only you can find out by reading.

I will warn you, if you can get through the first book without cringing too frequently at the use of "my inner goddess" among other phrases that are disturbingly overused, you will enjoy the series and maybe heat-up your sex life.

Like I said, I wanted to keep the review short and sweet and not give up too much. Although poorly written, I couldn't put the book down because I had to know what was going to happen next. James did a good job by throwing in a few right hooks that you wouldn't necessarily expect which kept things fresh as well.

Enjoy! Let me know if you read them and please tell me what you thought!

Love&Luck

2 comments:

  1. Jess! I am planning to read the first one on the honeymoon next week... I hope that's a good decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect decision to start your marriage off right 😉enjoy! Congratulations as well friend!

    ReplyDelete