Thursday, April 5, 2012

Novel Review: The 5 Love Languages


I wanted to write about a tool that has helped mine and M's relationship over the years. M and I come from different backgrounds, had different childhoods, different life experiences and are just overall different people so it's sometimes hard to understand each other's point of view. The book The Five Love Languages really helped show us both how we each perceive and appreciate acts of love. For example, when M does the laundry, dishes, or cleaning, I interpret that as a sign of love. Weird? Maybe. But I think it has a lot to do with watching my parents as I grew up. However, M definitely does not perceive love when I do the cooking, cleaning, etc. so I had to find out how he interpretted love.

I've spoken to many couples who also found this book helpful. I also saw that Gary has written a 5 Love Languages of Children book which I think would be amazing for those who have kids.

Suggestion: A must read for any relationship. Whether you just started dating someone or have been dating someone for years, this book is incredibly helpful and may even help you understand your partner better.

I also want to let you know that the book is a little slow to start with, but the real life examples Chapman gives really help you understand the love languages better. I promise once you get going, you won't be able to put it down. Plus the book is relatively short and can be finished within a day or two.

Happy reading!

Love&Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment